Tuesday, May 12, 2015

How Do You Bounce Back From Time Away?

Last Tuesday I outlined my plan to exercise my writing muscles back into shape. Now, I haven't written much in a few months so I'm feeling like I'm doing some heavy lifting without warming up. And apparently I'm not the only one feeling like this at the moment.

One of my good friends, a playwright, just asked Facebook (the All Knowing) about how to get back into the writing saddle.

There was some straight up, common sense advice:

Just do it and see what sticks.
Don't put any pressure on it, sit there until something comes.
Write fast.
Blow something up.
Copy someone else's first line and then finish the story yourself.

I shared Chuck Wendig's "A Smattering Of Stupid Writer Tricks" with her.

But I want to know what you do. Have you ever taken a long break and then tried to get back into the swing of things? How'd you do it?

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes it helps to start small, like with poetry or a short story. Also, I agree with the whole 'just do it.' Which I should go do right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with NO PRESSURE. You can work yourself up into a pressure spiral and feel so guilty you just can't find where to start so taking it easy and not having strict goals can help. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "pressure spiral" -- I like that a lot. That's exactly what it feels like.

      Delete
  3. I like the "no pressure" idea. I often go back to doing morning pages to get the icky stuff out--which I REALLY need to do. And if the project I picked isn't working, I switch to a different one. I'm fickle that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The icky stuff does need to come out somewhere...preferably where you won't get fired.

      Delete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.