Thursday, October 24, 2013

Reading Harry Potter to the Kiddos; or, I Love J.K. Rowling

This Saturday, I'll be joining a group of talented and beautiful actors at the Pikes Peak Library District's Briargate Branch for an all-day reading of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. In preparation for my parts (I'll be reading Uncle Vernon, the Gringott goblins, and Draco Malfoy, just to name a few -- and, yes, I do wonder: "What about me screams: Male Jerk?" But that's neither here nor there) I've been reading through Sorcerer's Stone again. That makes about the thirtieth time I've read it. Give or take.

And, I will state, yet again, that J.K. Rowling is my hero.

As I go through the lines, I'm just caught by the evil attitudes of the Dursleys (to whom I'm paying very close attention), the fairy tale-ish melody of the language, and just the wit that weaves throughout. It's thrilling to read this stuff out loud. Even in my somewhat Winston Churchill-ish Mr. Dursley voice.

Plus, I'm so excited about the reading format. I've been to endless readings where the author stands there, behind a podium, with his/her face half hidden by a microphone, and reads. Some authors are quite good. Others...well...less so? Shall we say? It can get kind of boring. So to hear local actors interpret these words will be very exciting. At least for me. I hope for the kiddos too.

Having finished a rough draft of a middle grade novel, I'm personally interested in seeing the kids' faces as we read. Are they all readers? Have they only seen the movies? What does this audience like?  Funny accents? Enthusiastic movement? I'm dying to see what works and what doesn't while reading/performing for that toughest of audiences: the children. I'll keep you posted.

And, if you happen to be in Colorado Springs, here's the info if you want to come see Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone read live:

Date: 10/26/2013
Start Time: 11:00 a.m.

Description:
 Come help raise money for the library while enjoying Harry Potter! Harry Potter enthusiasts are invited to collect pledges for pages or minutes read and either read quietly in the library or listen to the first book read aloud by a local theatre group. Participants are encouraged to bring a sleeping bag, pillow, and some snacks to stay cozy during this all day event.
Library: Briargate Branch - 9475 Briar Village Point
Location: Briargate Community Events
Contact: Michelle Archambault
Contact Number: 260-6882 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.