Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chain Chain Chain

I've been a slacker with writing lately.  First, the novel group went on hiatus, which removed my constant impending deadline.  Then, I was looking for a new job, which sucked up oodles of time.  Then, I was moving for the new job and doing all the work that goes along with a move.  Then... I was distracted - I was in a new place, meeting new people, lots of stuff to do.

A couple of days ago, I read this article from Lifehacker.  It talks about some advice the author got from Jerry Seinfeld on how to be productive.  The advice is very simple:

Step 1: Get a big calendar.
Step 2: Draw an X on each day you write.  (After a few days, you'll have a chain of Xes)
Step 3: Don't break the chain.

Starting today, I'm going to work on a chain.  Today's Accountability Tuesday, so that's fitting.  Also, today I'm going to a Write Brain thingie with Deb and Jenny, so that's fitting, too.  It's a good way to get started, and then all I have to think about is getting an X each day.  Easy.  Right?

4 comments:

  1. I do that in my day planner thing, but it's not as obvious as on a real, honest-to-gosh wall calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to keep up the productivity. I think I'll use it to get a sense of accomplishment. It's easy to forget the chain thing: that lots of little bites have a big result.

    Glad to hear you're writing again :-) Miss reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.