Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Blame it on the Baseball: A Tuesday Post of Accountability

Hello Tuesday and writer-friends! Time to be held accountable for our writing actions...or lack thereof.

Unfortunately, I fall into that "Lack Thereof" category this week.

And I blame baseball.

Not the major league kinda baseball - the way-more-intense world of Babe Ruth League baseball for children 9-10 years old. The world of baseball that my ten year old son now inhabits. The kind of baseball that demands I participate as one of the Moms. Snack times, gathering equipment, and all of that time/soul-sucking stuff. (And this is just the preseason...I can't believe how much these boys and girls play!)

Since practices have gone five nights out of the week, I've lost some daytime hours and have had to adjust to a new routine.

But I have done some writing related thingy-bobs.

1. Observe (because Ali insists on more pictures):

Masterpiece in Progress

What is this? This is my dining room table, covered with chapters from my La Llorona story. (And for those who might be interested in learning more about the legend of La Llorona so you kinda know what the story touches on: here's a good website.) I discovered that I didn't have enough room in my office to spread out, so I took over the dining room. I needed to be able to visualize what I was trying to accomplish.

My plan is basically to work top left corner to bottom right corner...though you can rest assured that the second row of papers you see there will be entirely new by the time I'm done.

***The children have been warned - on penalty of heavy maiming - to NOT TOUCH***

2. Eavesdropped via Twitter on the 20th Annual Pikes Peak Writer's Conference. Apparently Donald Maass was there and made a huge splash - lots and lots of writers tweeting about how encouraging he was. So I was, of course, exceedingly jealous that I wasn't there. (If you'd like to hear what the PPWCers had to say visit the #PPWC2012 hashtag in Twitter. There's a bunch of neat stuff, including some book character costumes from one of the dinners.)

Another thing I ran across during my PPWC stalking was this incredibly useful checklist via DeAnna Knippling. If you're feeling down in the dumps about writing and hitting that Hopeless Phase, she's probably got the solution somewhere on that list.

What'd you guys manage to accomplish this week? Learn anything useful that I can steal?

6 comments:

  1. For the record: one picture is good, but more would be better ;)

    Cool links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like chocolate. And chips. And bacon.

      Crap, now I want to go to lunch.

      Delete
  2. Great photo. I went to my writing group yesterday and got feedback on my current draft even though I got a call as I was leaving the house to see if I wanted tickets to the Twins/Red Sox game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Good on ya, Carrie! (Now my excuse seems kinda lame.) =D

      Delete
  3. Impressive when it's all spread out like that. And a bit intimidating. Maybe you should let the kids decorate it a little. Make it more friendly-like.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.