Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Revising the Plan: A Tuesday Post of Accountability

Happy Tuesday, writerly folk! Tuesdays are accountability day here at Place for the Stolen...so time to see what we accomplished writing-wise this past week:

1. Okay, so I know last week I said to hold me accountable for the End-of-April rough draft plan. I'm here to say that perhaps that was a smidge hasty. I've been re-evaluating the speed at which I can compose gracefully (read: without pulling my hair out) and have come to the conclusion that slower and steadier wins the race. I'm now aiming for the end of July as the rough draft due date for The Line.

And this past week I've added another 2400 words to the novel. Huzzah!

2. Part of the revising my plan is also that I'm starting another draft of an earlier book - my La Llorona book for those who care what I'm working on. It occured to me that The Line won't be ready for submission this year no matter how much I bust my ass - and I want a submittable-to-agents draft of a novel this year. That way I can at least build experience in the querying gig. Plus, I like this book and, after seeing Woman in Black, feel that a good, old fashioned ghost story is the way to go. (For those that have read some of it - you realize this means some definite retooling.)  

I whipped out my handy-dandy calendar and figured out a way to gracefully (read again: without pulling my hair out) do a new draft by the end of August.

So far I've marked up the first three chapters, cut another chapter, and have typed in a new two pages. Huzzah!

*Interesting note: I work better in the morning on the flat-out new stuff. Revisions are more a late afternoon/early evening thing. At least it keeps the days interesting, huh?*

That's it for me, kids. How about you guys? Revising? Working on something new? 

5 comments:

  1. I'm revising. Funny, because I'm the same way: new stuff is best for the early morning, before my inner critic wakes up. Revision is best for when my brain has been up for a while.

    And I want to read La Llorna! I've heard about this project forever, but it's like top-secret or something. You'd better share when it's ready...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not Top Secret. Only Sorta Secret. Of course you can read it once it's ready. I expect a lot of ooooing and ahhhing. =)

      Delete
  2. I always feel like I can write new stuff in short bursts, but that revision needs big blocks of time. Maybe I should see if the time of day makes a difference.

    I'd give you grief about changing deadlines, but glass houses and all that. Besides, it's better to go with what works than keep banging your head on the plan. Either way you're not going to get the work done. And the second way you're going to end up with a headache.

    Oh, and yay for La Llorona! That just reminded me of My Sharona. Now I'll be singing La Llorona to that tune all day. Thanks a lot, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the plan must be flexible. Bendy and all that. Otherwise nothing would get done, right?

      Delete
  3. Well, I've been knitting. I still hope to finish editing before we go on vacation, so I can reread the novel while we're away. Then it's more editing, and then betas by June, I hope...

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.