Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Last Minute Stories and Editing: A Tuesday Post of Accountability

It's Spring Break, so I almost forgot it was Tuesday. Time to be held accountable!

Here is what I did last week:

1. As Ali posted on Saturday, Hayden's Ferry Review has put out the call for their "In the Dark" issue. Oliver and I decided that would be a fun experiment for our writer's group and extended it as a challenge...which Ali then passed on to you guys here.

At first, I wasn't going to do it. I didn't have an idea. But then Oliver threw down and I can't just send out a challenge without participating in the challenge. So on Saturday I came up with an idea, worked it, and then worked more on Sunday right before the group.

Oh yeah, it's a last minute thing. But I have a new short story! Yay!

2. Wrote more stuff on The Line. Got through two scenes - so about 2000 words. (Sounds pathetic, I know. But the short story writing time cut into it.)

3. Finished a rewrite of the first chapter of La Llorona.   And let me tell you something interesting about that experience:

Way back in the day, Ali was reading the early chapters of La Llorona and I remember her saying something along the lines of "The sentence structure is off." You see, I was being all 'literary' and she didn't get my genius. So, of course, it was her problem.

Then I was re-reading this stuff, marking it up, pondering it. And thought: I don't understand what half these sentences mean. I got the gist, but it wasn't easy reading. Most of my marks were cleaning up weird grammatical things - not incorrect, just...weird.

There are two things to take from this:

The first: You've heard that bit of advice about needing distance from a piece before you revise. In On Writing, Stephen King recommends at least six weeks. (Which, to many writers, seems an impossible long time. To you I say: It's not, and it's worth it. If you can hold out even longer, better.) I have never had a problem with this waiting gig - it makes sense to me. But I think something else goes along with it.

Practice.

Between the time you put a piece down and the time you pick it up again, you should have written something else: a short story at the very least, but maybe even a whole different novel. 

If you do nothing between the time you drop your novel and the time you pick it back up again, you have learned no new skills. You have learned no new techniques. You are the same writer. You haven't improved. If you haven't improved, why on earth would you think you could make your manuscript better? You learn something with everything you write - so write a lot.

The second: Assuming that you don't have the time to wait (hello Deadline!), you have to trust your early readers, especially for the grammar thing - that kinda stuff isn't as open for debate as storyline or character motivation. Readers have the distance, and they have a different skill set than you do - so they have the two things needed in order to edit gracefully: distance and practice.

That's all for me! What'd you guys do this week? (I gotta tell you, we're re-doing the upstairs bathroom this week...so I can't guarantee big word counts for next week.)

1 comment:

  1. I lined up a batch of Saturday Pages posts. Also, made new jewelry, which is always important.

    Hoorah for progress on La Llarona. That's a fun story, it deserves some revision TLC.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.