Saturday, February 11, 2012

Books We Love

Any book that gets on the list of a book I love is a book I can read more than once and think, "Boy, that's awesome" the second or third read through. Also, I hate being asked for favorite anythings, because my adoration for certain things evolves over time. So, here are my tops, in no particular order.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Part short story cycle, part confessional, part metafiction, this book has a lot of layers. Every time I re-read it, I get something new out of it. The metafiction as well as tellings and re-tellings of the stories sucks me in time and again.

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie. Master of the epic title, Sherman Alexie made a big impression on me when I read this one. I love the voice and the way the stories talk to one another and bump into each other, creating a whole panorama of story in my head.

The Hakawati by Rabih Alameddine. This one has stories within stories within stories, all puzzled together like a quilt. It's intricate and lovely. Alameddine is masterful in his weaving. Scheherazade would be proud.

I hope you'll pardon the brevity here, but these are all awesome books you should totally check out. Also, I just realized that all of these books are based in short stories woven together to create a whole piece of cloth. Layers on layers. I clearly have a soft spot for that kind of format. Now, go hug a book!

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, I also love the first two. And, thanks to you, I'll be reading the third one shortly...=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love layers! I'm checking out O'Brien's book. Tip: google "Ocean City Margaret Atwood" for your mentor month (or her official FB page). She is in a mural. You might like it.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.