Saturday, February 11, 2012

Books We Love Blogfest: Saturday Pages

This is the first Blogfest I've ever participated in - thanks to Rebecca Kiel for putting it together. And in Honor of Valentine's Day, this blogfest is all about books we love...therefore your Saturday Page assignment is to tell us what books you love in the comments section. How easy-peasy is that?

Jenny's Favorite Books and Why - In No Particular Order: (I feel like I'm writing a high school essay)

1. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.
Like Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, this was Margaret Mitchell's sole contribution to the world of literature and what a contribution! This book is sweeping. It'll take you more than one day to read (and somehow I like that about my books). One of the greatest literary creations, Scarlett O'Hara, is found within its pages. And there's so many issues that come with it: race relations, gender relations, war, poverty, and the loss/rebuilding of a whole society. Even if you hate this book, it is a conversation starter every time.

When you add in the movie, there's the addition of Vivien Leigh (I kind of worship her), Clark Gable, Olivia deHavilland (who I also kind of worship), Leslie Howard, Hattie McDaniel (first African American to win an Oscar), and Butterfly McQueen.

2. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
While you can read any of these books in one day, you can't read the whole series in one day.

Again, this is a sweeping story - a bildingsroman if you wanna get all technical - about the growth and development of Harry. I also love the epic themes of courage, friendship, good vs. evil, and self sacrifice (which is what all the big epics are really about, right? Even Gone With the Wind is about whether or not Scarlett will ever be self-sacrificial...and one could actually argue one way or another about that).

3. The Stand by Stephen King
I know what you're thinking: 'Jenny, you really like the blockbuster bestsellers. Everyone likes these books.'

To that I say, 'Well, yeah, but these are blockbusters for very similar reasons.'

Once more, The Stand is a sweeping novel. Again, it's about the fight between good and evil, the stakes are the entire world. This book doesn't have the strength of the characters of Scarlett, Rhett, Harry, Hermione, or Ron - you can tell because if I say Stu, Larry, and Fran at random it doesn't have the same impact as any of the Mitchell/Rowling names. But King does Darkness really really really well. And the heart of the book, again, is self-sacrifice and friendship.

Books like these don't come along too often. 1930s for GWTW, 1970's for The Stand, late 1990s for Harry Potter. (One could certainly make a convincing argument for Lord of the Rings to slot into the 1950s section...but I find the histories of that series more monotonous than these three books.) I think that makes them more special.

Well, that's my list - what's yours?

9 comments:

  1. The histories of LOTR? You mean like Beren and Luthien's story? or Turin's? Boring??
    But I agree with you on all the other three :-) Now I feel like reading the Harry Potter series in a day, just to see if it can be done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do it. Because if someone can prove it can be done...I'll do it too!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to google "bildingsroman".

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the Harry Potter series! They're amazing. I like Gone With the Wind, but I haven't read the stand. Love Stephen King tho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always wanted to read GWTW, but never followed it up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I was named after Ashley Wilks from Gone With the Wind! LOL. I'm going to begin reading Stephen King, I've been told my writing is similar to his (Eye of the Dragon, I think?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost named my daughter Scarlett, no kidding.

      And if your writing is similar to King's...well, I can't wait to read ya!

      Delete
  6. I love Stephen Kings non-fiction, On Writing and The Stand is one of his works of fiction I plan on reading. Glad to read such a positive review of it within this blogfest!

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.