Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Week of Almost-Not-Quite: A Tuesday Post of Accountability

Ah, welcome to Tuesday comrades. Time to see what we've accomplished this week.

For me:

It's the week of almost-not-quite.

1. Almost finished a new short story. I'm up to the climatic, near-end scene. The story sorta wrote itself, which is always nice, right? But it still isn't finished. Just two more scenes.

2. Worked on the first chapter of the book I'm collaborating on with Ali. (Soon she and I are going to be joined at the hip we're doing so much together.) But I didn't finish the work I wanted to do on the second chapter.

This collaboration thing is interesting. It seems to me that a lot of the decisions you make while writing are instinctive. When you have a writing partner, you have to be able to articulate - or, at least, to show - to another person what and why you're doing what you're doing. This is true both for this blog now that we're both working on it and for the fiction piece we're doing.

Ali - what are your thoughts on this work together stuff?

3. Almost hit my scheduled weekly word count for my own novel. But not entirely there. Sad faces all around. And I'm pretty sure I'm not going to hit the count again this week because I've got to prep for a presentation that my writing group is doing this Sunday. (More on that next week!) Also, I have to prep my submission to the same group - which means editing some of my NaNo pile instead of new writing. At least that is all on the same project.

4. Almost finished with a poetry chapbook on Ted Bundy that I'm going to submit to a competition. Need three more poems. I know the subject matter, it's just a matter of finding the right words. Poetry is tougher than anything when you're struggling with finding words. So it'll probably take me right up to the deadline before I finish.

5. Oh! I did finish one thing. I set up a page on Facebook for my writers' group The Under Ground Writing Project (UGWP to those 'in the know'). If you're so inclined, you can go on Facebook or go to the website and click Like. Also, feel free to join the website itself, even if you can't make the regular meetings. There are writing forums and blog posts and writing resources listed. The only thing you can't do on the site is read the group's documents. You'll forgive me for protecting our work, right? I really want to promote writerly friendships.

Now it's your turn! Tell me what you've been up to this week!

6 comments:

  1. I finished marking up the first 32 pages of the 'final revision' of MMG. Just in time for my meeting with Mary. So score 1 for having to be accountable to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it sounds to me like you got quite a bit done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts on the collaboration stuff are going to be in my last Gaiman post. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressed that you're able to have so many irons in the fire!

    Me, I plotted the next book in the DOUBLE VISION series. Exciting newness, so hurrah for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, uh, had a bit of a disconnect there. Was thinking of Al Bundy.
    Off to join the group!

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.