Monday, December 5, 2011

Time to clear the stack:JenRidReadMo

Last month, as you guys know, was National Novel Writing Month. Millions of writers across the country set pen to paper/fingers to keyboard in order to write an entire novel in a month. Which is a crazy idea, when you get right down to it.

Partly to recover from this last bout of ridiculousness, and partly because I set myself the challenge of reading 80 books this year, I will be reading a book a day until the end of the year.

I'm dubbing this challenge: JenRidReadMo. (Jenny's Ridiculous Reading Month)

Why? I'm sure my friend John is asking (because he's always the one looking at me like I've lost my mind when I say "I'm gonna do this [fill in random thought]!").

My Reasons:
Palate cleansing. Post NaNo, I find I need a break from writing. I'm still working on a couple things, and by working I mean fiddling and getting nothing accomplished. And reading will help reboot the system.

Well filling. During NaNo my brain stopped working correctly. I didn't entirely lose the vision of my novel, but it definitely got blurred around the edges. I need fuel to kick the ol' imagination back in gear. Right now I feel like I have nothing to pull from. Time to chill and gather my brilliant thoughts again.

Because I wanna. Like NaNo, JenRidReadMo, is a challenge. I'd like to say that I did it. And I don't mean 35 books in one month, I'm referring to the goal I set back way early in the year - which I already missed because my original insane goal was 100. My previous years (according to Goodreads stats) I've managed about 30 books a year. I don't want to set it back again - that feels like failing and I don't like to fail. So this is an area where I'd like to push myself.

*****
And a quick shout out to Deniz - who is doing her own removal of her teetering to-read pile.

READERS UNITE!!!

3 comments:

  1. Have I mentioned that I'm 2 books ahead on my goal of 50 books this year?






    Ow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I can't wait till my reading starts on 22 December. Until then, I'll stick with my one book on the train and another at home reading, and see how far I get.
    Can't wait to see which books you're reading!

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.