Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Your Slip is Showing: A Tuesday Post of Accountability!

Welcome to Tuesday! And every Tuesday you will be subjected to regaled by the writing progress I have made over the last week. But! I insist that I not be the only one exposing myself sounding off. Let your comments reflect what kind of suffering butt-kicking you have done too!

1. Um, yeah. NaNoWriMo is still going on. I'm not sure what week we're in now. Week six? Week twelve? Feels like it's been going on forever, and I'm slightly behind and in catch-it-up mode at the moment. It's been this interesting see-saw bit: one day I'm up, the next day I'm down. I can't seem to get ahead...which, I won't lie, would be really, really nice.

One thing that's funny about writing at a quick pace and not caring about what you put down (which isn't entirely true, I just can't not care about what I put down) is that your tangents/flaws/habits show themselves in a very exposing manner.

For example, I am an em-dash kinda chick. There is nothing like those double dashes to emphasize the parenthetical talky talk I like to emphasize. I'm sure this is especially annoying to the reader.

Also, I love the word that. And that is really helpful when you're trying to up word counts. Any time a hang-up is overuse of words, NaNoWriMo blesses you.

I'm not the only one to notice this phenomenon either. Shane is also participating in NaNo and he has discovered his penchant for overusing metaphors has resulted in sometimes three or four metaphors for one thing. (His word count is ahead of mine...perhaps I should embrace the power of long metaphors.)

Ah, to have your slip showing....

2. Reading. I have done some of it during this NaNo thing. However, I've also not finished reading anything. I'm halfway through a bunch of non-fiction, and only one novel.

I'm finding reading novels frustrates me as I try to pound out my own novel for NaNo. The novels remind me of how much I need to revise my em-dashed mess for it to be any kind of readable. Then all I want to do is revise. But no! I must hold back. I have plans! I have a schedule! I must write the dunderheadedness now! (See? NaNo also exposes your use of whacked-out words like dunderheadedness. I actually used the word nefariousness in my WIP. This is how it goes....)  


How're you guys doing?


6 comments:

  1. First, I'm stealing nefariousness.

    I'm at a little over 20,000 so 5,000 words behind. I haven't ever been 'even' this month. BUT I have 5 days off over Thanksgiving. So even if Thursday is a washout--which we know it will be--I will have four whole days to pound out words.

    Word sprints have helped me come from way behind. I am amazed every time at how many words I can get out in 10-15 minutes. Always over 300 and sometimes over 500.

    Slips? I find myself using a lot of similes. I am also upping word count by not using contractions. People tend to 'perch' on things. "As if" also makes frequent appearances.

    The good news? I like my main characters. And I know I tend to baby the characters I like so I'm about to beat them all up. :-D What I've written will need major rewrites later, but I've got at least a kernel of some good stuff.

    All in all? Happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about 4G behind and have decided that I have to get up early to pound out an extra thousand every morning until I catch up. (If I do not set such rules now, I'm gonna keep slipping behind.)

    And I'm (I am) now eliminating contractions too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well let's see. Not only are my scenes covered in m dashes, I've got notes-to-self in the margins that are longer than some of the scenes themselves. Gibberish thy name is me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deniz, I've got the notes to self as well. There's one scene that's totally out of order, and I have characters with names like [dude], [guy], [new girl]. The brackets make it easier to find them later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, I should totally do the bracket thing. Especially stuff like "new girl" because that's two words for the price of one. And...if you name her "ugly girl with bucked teeth who has crush on MC" you get WAY more bang for your buck. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bracket thing is the best! It works for bad words, necessary research, names...
    "She might ask Father [X], but it wasn’t likely that he took notice of the ordinary comings and goings of anyone outside his own congregation.
    [does church look any different]
    "Then you have [only just] arrived? Have you -'"

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.