Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo GO! and Tuesday Post of Accountability

So it's Tuesday, but it's a special Tuesday: the first day of November. Last year I did not participate in NaNoWriMo, and actually I've never participated. UNTIL NOW!

To add a literary notch on my belt, I'm going for it this month and will keep you posted on my progress...maybe...I could be writing....

For those of you who are going for it as well, here is a very interesting list of things that may or may not help you on your way to 50K words, via GalleyCat.

All right, now that we know what next week should hold (namely a lot of words), let's look at what I managed to get done last week:

1. Typed up the officially official end of Part I. And that decided me that I'm not gonna handwrite-then-type my NaNo project because, damn, typing in 13,000 words in one day (How do you spend your Saturdays?) was a lot of work and it didn't feel very good. Though, I'm a slower typer so this could bite me. Look for changes through the month. I tried to pace the writing so that the last four or five days of the month could be used for typing should I need to handwrite - which means more painful word count stints on the days I write, regardless of how I do it, but there it is.

2. I fiddled with/edited a short story that still isn't done. Since I'd finished the first part of the novel, I was tired of writing flat-out. However, that didn't translate to good editing time either. I got halfway, and it's better than it was, but I'm still not at the end yet. And that means it'll be at least a month before I get back to it...though I've slotted December for reading ONLY because November is gonna sting.

3. Had my writing group on Sunday, and that was a verrrry interesting meeting for me, because it brought up a lot of issues that writers have in writing groups. Yesterday I decided that I'll do some bloggy segments on the "group think" kind of stuff. Because there are some rewards and pitfalls to be aware of and I don't think writers talk about these things very often. Look for those!

But, in the meantime...it's time to get to work. Leave a quick note about your own amazing accomplishments this last week and then get back to work yourself!

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a 'live' writing group so I'd be interested to hear your comments!
    I tried the type-drafting thing during last year's NaNo but it didn't work. So I'm stuck - I have to stick to the write before work and type in the evenings routine. I should double my NaNo score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deniz-Yeah, already after one day -I literally went one paragraph - and then said "There's no way I can do this." I just edit too much on screen. So, I'm handwriting/typing all the way.

    (I'll probably still edit while typing it in, I just can't stop myself. But it shouldn't be as bad.)

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.