Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Multi-Creatives: David Keplinger's By and By: The Copybook Songs of Isaac P. Anderson

A lot of writers I know do multiple creative things: needlepoint, ceramics, jewelry making, theatre, art, dance, music. There's a certain attractiveness to this. Because, always, creativity breeds creativity. Through experimentation people find what they want to say, and then, through even more creative exploration, discover the way to say it.

Every now and then, these various artistic bits merge, developing into something new and very interesting.

I have had the great opportunity to study with a poet by the name of David Keplinger (you guys may have heard me mention his name around here before). I've heard him read his poetry at many different venues.

But, I've probably heard him sing in bars, or around campfires, more. Cuz that's just how we roll.

Now I've just learned that David has combined his poetical sense and his musical inspirations to cut an album based on his great-great-grandfather's poems. I was so absolutely tickled by this that I had to let you guys know, so you can check it out. It's a really moving tribute to his family, but I think the historical notes, the creative expression, and the folksy style are inspiring too.

2 comments:

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.