Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I'm a Winner!: A Tuesday Post of Accountability

It's Tuesday again folks. And every Tuesday you will be subjected to regaled by the writing progress I have made over the last week. But! I insist that I not be the only one exposing myself sounding off. Let your comments reflect what kind of suffering butt-kicking you have done too!
And there's one big thing I've done in the last week:

I WON NANOWRIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!

50,000 total new words for my work in progress in the last month!!!!!

*crowd cheers*

So, about equals about 10,000 new words on my work in progress for the week.

That's really probably enough, isn't it?

And I'm not alone. Crossing the finish line with me: my good dear friend Deb and my good dear spouse Shane.

A big hearty congratulations to everyone who wrote this past month. And to everyone who is still punching those keys: STOP READING RIGHT NOW AND GET TO WORK.

It was a great experience and now I shall list what I have learned:

1. Having someone to write with is a good thing. Early on in the month I was gonna throw in the towel. Then Shane got a fire lit under his own typing fingers and sped past me. In one day he banged out 7,000 words, made me feel like a total bum, and therefore I kicked my own ass to keep up. Because, really, I should not get beaten by people with full time jobs. If they can do it, I can do it. No excuses.

He still kept ahead of me throughout the month. *Jenny's carrot*

Until I saw the magical '40,000' on the bottom of my Word screen. After that I was not stopping, I wasn't slowing down for anyone and ditched everyone and everything to end NaNo early on Sunday. I was beyond thrilled.  

So it served to prove that, all too often, I'm the person in my own way.

2. I need a sketch pad or something where I can sketch out floor plans, ground plans, street maps, or whatever. The idea for this had already been in the back of my head because of an Umberto Eco essay in Confessions of a Young Novelist. I don't have the book in front of me, but Eco talks about how he added dialogue because a set of stairs in The Name of the Rose was long and the characters should be talking all the way down. Basically, he was so aware of space and location that he had his characters behave accordingly.

I think I need to do that -- and the point was brought home to me via my writer's group on Sunday. Basically, the end section of Part I is confused. There's a lot of action, but no one knows where anyone else is in relation to the whole. Part of that is me not having a clear idea of where or what I want my characters to be doing.  I also forgot where I put the kitchen. And the home office.

This is stuff you need to know, ya know?

3. Writing is a reward in itself. Yesterday, when I had nothing I had to write, I still had a million and one things I wanted to get down on paper. I actually stopped myself because my well is really really really dry at the moment. It was energizing to get all that stuff down, but I need to get my bearings a little bit.

Today I'm going to continue work on a short story, but I'm going to take it nice and slow.

How are you guys recovering? Revving up for the holidays?

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Jenny!

    Yay, Shane!

    Yay, me!

    Funny about that 40,000 mark. I had fully intended to break up the last 10,000 in easily digested pieces. But I sat down yesterday morning is 43,000 under my belt (up from 38,000 the day before) and could not let it go.

    I want to push through for a quick 'the end' on this one. Then I'll let it sit for a while. It'll take some time to come up names for all the characters that are running around in their brackets.

    Don't know if I'll work on anything else in December. I feel like I wanna, but that may fade.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.