Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Reading, Writing; Writing, Reading: Tuesday Post of Accountability

The writing
There was far less actual writing this past week, and definitely more thinking about writing. Here's what I thought:

"I'm almost done with Part I! I'm almost done with Part I!"

Here's what I did:

False started the last Part I chapter about four times. First, I started it at the wrong time with the wrong character. Then I started it with just the wrong character. Then I started at the wrong time with the right character. Then I got the right character in the right place at the right time and got five pages in before realizing -

I needed to change the trajectory of the chapter!

...Which was actually pretty exciting because now there's gonna be a lot more action instead of navel-gazing. However, it did make me re-think how I was going to handle the opening chapters of Part II. In a good way because now the characters have something I was trying to force on them before: motivation. I think this adjustment will feel more natural. (And, since I'm sort of cheating and doing Part II as my NaNo, it also gives me a lot to chew on for 50,000 words.)

All this thinking, however, led to small amounts of physical words-on-paper. Ah well. I just need to finish one chapter this month anyway.

The reading
As I was telling my friend Ali just last night: I've read about far too many bodily extremities this past week.

First up: Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. Awesome story.

Annnd also filled with genetically modified humans whose genitalia turn, um, blue when they're ready to get-it-on. Which was fun, but probably just a little too much information after I'd been exposed to

Second up: Rebellion of the Beasts; or, the Ass is Dead, Long Live the Ass by Leigh Hunt.  Written in 1825, you'd think it'd be safe from any kind of extremity mention. Not so. In this pre-Animal Farm send up of monarchy, the animals of the world have rebelled and put a donkey on the throne. Fine.

But, in his description of ridiculous, frivolous royal-court manners...Hunt has a lengthy description of the fine art that is ass-kissing. Literally. Apparently it is a great honor to lick the donkey king's tail. And, apparently, the closer you're allowed to lick near the 'root', the higher-up in society you are.

Gross.

So, there you have my week of writing (very little) and my week of reading (too much of a good thing).

What were you guys up to? Hopefully it was a much more wholesome week all around for you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing lots of thinking and less writing myself. One more week till NaNo!
    I don't think I've read any Leigh Hunt. Ewwww on the donkey licking!!

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.