Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tuesday Post of Accountability! Writing! Yeah!

Ah, Tuesday. Time to be held accountable.

Here's what I was up to:

1. Writing. Woo-whee! Finished a chapter and am half through another, for a grand total of twenty-odd pages this past week. Since I figured out the schedule that I need to be on, I've been sticking to it pretty consistently. Of course, I only figured it out last week...so let's see how long I stick to it, yeah?

Another reason I think I've been so productive is that I've figured out not to try too much new. A certain pattern has emerged on the projects I finish and, if that's how I'm finishing, then that's what I need to do, right?

So, my process (my real process, as I figure out every time...so remind me next time I try something too different): hand-write in the cheap notebooks that are so plentiful this time of year - because they're cheap I don't have an ounce of guilt about what should or should not go in them, which plagues me for some reason with the nicer notebooks/journals. Then edit as I type it in later.

Another weird thing I've noticed: when I'm working on a big project I like to use one writing utensil - whether pencil or pen - until said utensil runs out (either the pencil is so short it's awkward to hold, or until the pen runs out of ink). Seems strange to the outside world, I'm sure, but I think I use these as measuring sticks. If I ever feel I'm not making progress...I can just look at the length of my pencil, or my pen will suddenly refuse to write another word. Then I have the distinct triumphant feeling of: Ha! I beat that one!

2. Finished reading some books that I've been monkeying around with. On Goodreads I entered 100 books as my reading goal this year, so when I plotted my writing goals I plotted my reading goals as well. Turns out that I was a tad smidgen too ambitious. So I've revised to eighty books and I've actually scheduled out how much time I'll need to read said books to hit my goal by the end of the year.

Shane looked at me and said "You're a little intense."

Well, writing and reading are pretty much my thing, so it doesn't feel like work. I want to be an expert and all....

3. Learned to pity English teachers (well, actually, all teachers). I'm from a family of teachers, and my husband is one. He's just taken on a job at, basically, a Talented and Gifted charter school that can get kind of intense. He had stacks of stuff to grade this weekend - drafts of paragraphs that he had to mark up and get back to the kids by today. I had mercy on him and helped edit...though I don't know how helpful I was with the rubric schtuff. I'm sure he wasn't the only teacher grading on Labor Day, so let me give a shout-out to my teacher people: I LOVE YOU! YOUR STUDENTS LOVE YOU! KEEP IT UP!!!

2 comments:

  1. Go, Jenny, go!

    You? Intense? I don't know where Shane gets that.

    And, yes, thank you to all teachers. You do the most important work in the world. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like me - notebook, edit while typing, use a favourite pen forever [g] Nice to know I'm not alone.
    Notebooks are all on back to school sales!

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.