Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuesday Post of Accountability!: Reading Should Count As Writing

It's Tuesday again! And every Tuesday you will be subjected to regaled by the writing progress I have made over the last week. But! I insist that I not be the only one exposing myself sounding off. Let your comments reflect what kind of suffering butt-kicking you have done too!

And now we get to why a consistent accountability post is necessary:

I did not write a word this week. (Except for blog posts...)

Sad faces all around.

However, I did do a LOAD of reading. I finished Kerouac's The Dharma Bums, Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, and am halfway through Kerouac's The Subterraneans and Erasmus's Praise of Folly. And guys, I hafta tell you, these are not the easiest books I've ever read.

However, we all know reading is very important to writing!

For example: Two of the books I've read this week, of course, have to do with this month's mentor. I look at technique, tone, or whatever else I can pull from it for my own work...but it's not necessarily related to the WIP. This kind of reading is more like buying tools for the toolbox, if you catch my drift.

The other two books (Atwood and Erasmus) have more to do with my WIP. I've determined, since The Line is all dystopian future that I should (duh!) read more dystopian novels. (Plus I have to read Atwood for the September/October mentoring session - two for one!)

Erasmus isn't dystopian but I think his work speaks to the social consciences in my novel. (Whoa. That sounds high-fallutin'...no worries, I'm more about entertainment.)

Plus this week we've been getting everyone prepped for the start of school. Yippee skippee.

Please tell me you guys were more successful on the word count bit.

Oh, and a big shout out to Deniz, who finished her round of editing!

2 comments:

  1. Jenny, I hear ya, and am about where you are. Reading? Lots. Writing? Not as much.

    Congratulations, Deniz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny and Debbie!

    And yes, reading should definitely counts as writing! It's what leads to writing, after all. Gotta be inspired by others :-)

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.