Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thursday Reviews!: The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac (A Mentor Review!)

The Dharma BumsThe Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


If I'd read this alone on a mountaintop, or while camping, or just out in nature somewhere I'd probably've given this four stars. The descriptions of nature, the out-and-out enthusiasm for the outdoors, and the romanticizing of living out of a backpack (which, for an indoor girl like me, is a hard sell) were the most engaging sections for me.

That and the descriptions of food were somehow entrancing. Who knew pork and beans could be so effective as a literary presentation? And I'm not being sarcastic either. After Kerouac describes the cold during the mountain climbs, or the extensive traveling without rest, the descriptions of food seem to rejuvenate the reader as well as the lead characters. It's a strange thing and I can't think of a book that comes close to describing food in such a satsifactory way. (Odd praise, I know, but it worked for me.)

Had the nature and backpacking and food been the center stage for this novel, it would've been just fine for me.

My issue comes with the pop-Buddhism. It really felt like Ray (the main character/Kerouac doppelganger) was an enthusiastic guy trying to understand something that he wasn't quite getting. He knew the terminology, knew some Buddhist practices and tried to apply it in his life...but there's a section where Japhy (the Ultimate Dharma Bum) calls him out and says that Ray is just putting everything into words. And that is exactly right -- I practically cheered when I got to that point. Ray is just describing and describing being "enlightened" but he never actually is, and doesn't see it, and it gets annoying.

Really, it's Ray's childlike enthusiasm and joie de vivre that make the pop-philosophy forgiveable.

Side note -- I found it hilarious that Alvah Goldbook, Allen Ginsberg's doppelganger, was the poet to protest the Buddhism the most. Funny, because Ginsberg was the most faithful of Buddhists after Kerouac introduced him to the religion...his funeral was in a Buddhist temple. There's just no predicting....

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.