Friday, August 12, 2011

Ben Hecht's Interview of Jack Kerouac

I seem to have talked a lot this week, so now I'm gonna let Kerouac talk, scabs and all.

This is the second portion of an interview held just before/immediately after the release of The Dharma Bums, which we've been talking about this week. In this interview Ben Hecht and Kerouac talk about Buddhism vs. Christianity, a brief mention of The Dharma Bums as the new book out, the "happiness of Negroes" (full disclosure: I have to say that I'm embarassed for both of them - white 1950s guys that they are, I cringed at the generalizations made), and world peace.

The interview is interesting both for the interviewee and the style of the interview. It's not quite McCarthy-esque...but it certainly has the flavor of the time period....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the compliment regarding my humorous short on Bransford's blog!

    Always glad to make someone laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.