For those who may not know much about Kerouac (like me until recently), I'm gonna give you a quick list of the highlight, or important lights -- since there are some lowlights too -- of his life and career, two things which may not be inseparable.
- Kerouac born in 1922
- Kerouac = sport star in high school which earns him:
- Football scholarship to Columbia University in New York where
- he meets other future icons of the Beat Generation (William Burroughs: Naked Lunch, Junkie; Allen Ginsberg: Howl)
- 1944: Kerouac arrested/held as a material witness to David Kammerer murder
- 1944: marries Edie Parker
- Starts hitchhiking and traveling around USA (1947-1950 = Neal Cassady as travel partner, roots of On the Road), works on first book
- 1950: First book The Town and the City published
- 1950: marries Joan Haverty
- Seven years later On the Road is published
- Wild literary popularity--more books published, more traveling, more of everything
- Kerouac introduced to and continues to explore Buddhism 1953-_____
- 1966: marries Stella Sampas
- Dies October 1969 of a hemorrhage caused by cirrhosis of the liver
Whatchoo guys know about Kerouac? What do you guys want to know? Tune in next week!