Monday, May 9, 2011

Random Post of Accountability!

Been awhile since I've done some accounting for myself.

Here's what I've been doing writing-wise:

1. Figuring out what the heck I wanted to write. A couple months ago I hit that point where it was time to work on a new project. I don't know if you're anything like this, but I have project after project after project in my head. So it came down to What did I want to write? Initially I decided to work on a story I call The Line. Then I was having a really hard time figuring out where I wanted to go with it. So I went to another project, The Manager, but discovered I didn't have the writing skill to pull off what I wanted to do. So I switched to another project, which I call Members of the Club. But I didn't actually start on that one, just brainstormed around and went back to the first one. This back-and-forth took up about three weeks of my time.

2. Figuring out how I wanted to write. At first, I thought that I would write my masterpiece on the computer, because I was having such success with short stories that way. Turns out, writing a short story and writing a novel are two different things and I have two different processes. Switched to handwriting on the novel and it's been trucking right along. (I wonder why this is? A mental thing, I'm sure.) Plus, my computer crashed, so I was without that for a little bit. (It's back on track now, for those who were concerned.)

3. Playing around with Word. I figure, speaking of writing on computers, that I should really know about the software I'm using. Every now and then, I'll open up a new document just for playing. I play with setting indents and tracking changes and formatting and all of the goofy stuff that this program can do. Learning a lot.

4. I submitted some poetry around. I'll let you know how that goes. This is really the first time I've ever submitted poetry. I've written quite a bit, but never released it. So fingers crossed, and we'll see about racking up some rejections in the corner.

Come on, my writerly people? What have you been up to?

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've settled on something and are getting in the groove. It's actually quite huge that you know your process for shorts and novels is different. Processes are not always easy to figure out.

    Did quite a bit of fiddling around my own self. Do I revise MMG again? Do I revise something else? Start something new? Ack.

    But MMG won out, and I'm making progress. Slow progress right now, but I'll take it. I've also realized that on this go-around I definitely need to be revising the revising as I go. (That one came to me this morning) Hoping that I'll have something pretty close to submittable when I type "The End" so I can finally send it out into the world and move on.

    Then the dance of What Next? starts all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still figuring out the process myself. Although I finished the first draft of my WIP, and am almost done editing, so accountable-r-us over here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the poetry submissions!
    It's fun having that many projects on the go but I wish I could take two weeks off from work just to write!
    That's about how I learned Word, too, back when I was a teenager typing up my favourite poems - poetry has lots of formatting and indents [g]

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.