Monday, November 22, 2010

The Process, Again

Everyone's process is different. Everyone's process switches up too.

The original set-up for the CWC (one of my awesome writers' groups) was based on a writers' group somewhere up in New England. I'd read about this group in Writer's Digest and it sounded just intense enough for me and my buddies. The idea was that on alternating months some writers handed in 50-100 pages, the rest of us would critique the pages and then hand in our own 50-100 pages the next month.

You know what was awesome about that set up? Four out of five of us have at least two manuscripts in rough draft form. Deb has a monumental 4. Score us!

You know the difficulty with that set up? There is no time to revise. People have different processes. Like NaNo -- after a while churning out pages is just not enough.

I'm excited by CWC has decided to do: mix it up. Some of us work great with deadlines (Ali and me). Some people just need pressure (Shane). Some of us need to the freedom to write without having other voices in their head (Deb). And some just need some time and space to figure out what they want to do with the stuff they already have (Mary, Deb, and me). And there are various other things that a writer needs.

Basically, we've proven that we can produce. Now the goal is to work on what we need to...and just bring proof that we've done it. If we need things critiqued, then we get them critiqued. If someone has finished a full draft and needs first readers, we do it. If we need to exercise our writerly muscles, we do that.

It's awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I tell people about how easy the decision was for the group to come to, they are amazed. See what a little communication and cooperation can do?

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.