Monday, October 18, 2010

Countdown to Alexie

Oh yeah. The Man-His-Own-Self will be in Pueblo, Colorado, this next weekend. This means nothing to those of you who are not in or around Pueblo, Colorado, but for those of us who are....YIPPEE!

I'm very excited. So far Alexie has been my reading list for the last couple months. Partly because I'm in a class dedicated to contemporary Native American writers--and I have to say that I've never, ever enjoyed the reading for any class as much as I have for this one. Perhaps Native Americans are considered expert oral storytellers...but they sure know how to write one down too.

I know there is something to that. If you are raised with wonderful stories and legends, if you are inundated with tales from a young age, then there is no possible way that you can be a lousy writer if you choose to go that way. Thank heaven Alexie did.

I just finished reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and it was fantastic. I also just finished reading/watching Smoke Signals and The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Plus a load of short stories and poems. All amazing.

Yep. This post is just to gush. And to let you know that you'll know more once I've seen the man in person...Soon!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I'm glad you're getting to meet one of your literary heroes. If Ali is attending, please keep an eye on her. She might try to crawl in his suitcase.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.