Monday, September 13, 2010

Owen's Prompts

At the end of the school year last year, Owen brought home the writing journal that he kept for his second grade class. I didn't know that he kept a writing journal, so I was interested to read his work.

And how pleasantly surprised I was! He totally cut loose as far as story goes. There were no limits. He responded to prompts with verve and attitude. I think this is something that we all should do as writers. He wasn't writing for publication, or even a grade, and his ideas were fun and fascinating (though maybe a little violent....).

A sample or two (with corrections for spelling, etc. from Mom):

1. "If I was a giant I would eat kids alive. I would also destroy buildings I touch. that would be cool. I would actually be green. I also want to step on people."

2. "The rusty key fit in the lock and a dead man fell out. 'This is a mystery' I said to my friends. We went to the next door in the house. It was locked, so we used the rusty key. It fit! We saw a light in there...."

3. "The silly dragon had two dogs that breathe fire. Weird. He also has a rat that flies. He also has lots of stuff."

Not too shabby for a then-seven year old. Mixing up genres. Introducing interesting characters and plotlines. Shifting POVs. All in all, I think a nice start to the writing gig.

2 comments:

  1. I totally want to write a story that begins, "The silly dragon had two dogs that breathe fire."

    Maybe we should all get in touch with our inner 2nd Grader.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.