Monday, August 23, 2010

Weather and Writing

William Wordsworth wrote this wonderful poem called "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" (also known as "Daffodils")--and all of the emotions he felt while walking out in nature. He was inspired by the wind and the clouds, and the peace that they produced. Wordsworth is commonly considered one of the early conservationists, concerned with nature and how it was handled right at the beginning of the industrial revolution. As a man who was outside more often than in, it seems natural that the weather should have influenced his writing.

What about writers today? With all of the television and amusement parks and malls, does weather influence us?

I think it does, if in nothing else but mood setting. I'm sure we all have a favorite weather to read in: summertime on the pool, curled up by a fire when it's snowing.

My favorite weather to write in? Thunderstorms. Doesn't matter what I'm writing, whether it's something funny or sad or tumultuous like a thunderstorm. There's just more energy in the air itself. I like the hum of it. Plus, it doesn't happen that often, so the rarity adds a certain appeal.

How about you? Do you like to write on your back porch in summer, floating along on your swing? Do you like to write during clear nights with lots of stars shining into your window? What inspires you about the weather that you write in? And, conversely, what weather can you absolutely not write in?

4 comments:

  1. You know, when it's rainy and dark in the house, I have trouble writing. I think it makes me sleepy and have no energy. I love to write on sunny yet cool days on my screened in porch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of the screened in porch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel that days like today are perfect writing days, but I'm more likely to curl up and read on a gloomy day.

    Cool days work better for me, though. I get the listless thing when it's hot--hence not much to show for this summer. Sunny with a few high clouds is nice.

    Not that I'm picky or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate this heat, makes it so hard to think. Blizzards are great for writing: nowhere to go :-)

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.