Friday, August 20, 2010

Office Supplies--The Real Reason We're Writers

As I've gone through August, buying school supplies and whatnot for the kids (and myself!) and after a couple recent-er posts from buddies Deb and Ali, I have figured out the real reason that we're writers.

You would think that it would have something to do with the fact that we were all big readers growing up and, therefore, we fell in love with the written word and stories. You would be correct, that certainly played a part.

You might also think that the bookstore holds a certain magical quality for us. The rows and rows of books written by people alive and dead...the dead still able to speak to us even now. (Though we can't understand a word of what Joyce is saying, he is still talking. Sorry, with one exception: Deb understands him.) Your assumptions would be correct here also.

However, there is a tipping point for all things. That proverbial straw of hay that breaks a camel's back and, in turn, changes mere mortals to writers. That straw was an Office Max/Staples/You Name the Big Office Supply Store for me, and it looks like Ali and Deb too. I suspect that we are not alone.


Imagine it with me now:

  • The reams of paper boxed for my printing pleasure.
  • The rows of ballpoint, inkjet, and gel pens lined up for my hand to pick the perfect fit!
  • Don't forget the file folders to organize my legion of rough drafts.
  • The corner of Post-its just waiting for me to stick the important note regarding the major plot point of my novel next to my computer screen.
  • White boards with multi-colored dry-erase markers waiting for me to write notes and goals, only to erase them again and write more notes and goals.
  • Notebook paper gathered in spirals and three ring binders filled to bursting with my brilliant prose!
  • Paperclips and binder clips in decorative designs to keep my critique submissions in order!
  • Manila folders and manuscript mailing boxes to send my novel to the DREAM AGENT!!!

WHY ON EARTH ISN'T EVERYONE A WRITER?! It's like perpetual Christmas.

August is here--'tis the Back-to-Writing season! Go forth and find that perfect rollerball to make you happy!

5 comments:

  1. There's nothing like writing the first word on a blank page...

    And notebooks are, like, 15 cents now! The joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaah! Running to Target right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you guys are contagious.

    I had to pick up some things for work at Office Depot this morning. A nice blue notebook caught my eye. Then some easy-flow blue pens. Since the color for this go around of HM is blue, they just jumped into the basket.

    Plus they fall into the "fun" theme for the month, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure they just 'jumped' DB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So she said when she got back to the office.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.