Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Process Piece

I have come to the conclusion that there's a pattern to my process.

Here it is, in a nutshell:

Write helter-skelter for a little while, fiddle with the characters, get a good, solid start. Then, once I've warmed up, I go for the end in a flurry of writing. I say, 'Okay, Jenny, time to end it' and then I work my tail off until it's finished.

I have now hit that 'Okay, Jenny, time to end it' stage. My goal is to finish my WIP (La Llorona) by the end of July--or make a really good effort. I have the necessary scenes in mind.

Since all of you have worked on multiple projects, what kind of patterns have you noticed in your own writing process? Do you start strong and fizzle at the end? Do you start like me and wander for a while before you figure out where you're going? Something else?

3 comments:

  1. I'm one of those who start with great enthusiasm, put out 50-100 pages without it feeling like much effort. Then I hit the wall and stagger around the middle for a while. Sometimes too long a while. Once I find a way out, I bolt for the end (as you know too well).

    But that's what rewrites are for, right? To fix the wandering middle and fill out the rushed ending.

    Good luck on your race to the finish. Can't wait to see where you go with La Llarona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wander around for a long time, both in writing and in visualizing what I want to do. When I have a good enough idea of what I want, I outline(sort of), organize, and get to the final project. Even then, though, there's a lot of experimenting and exploring, but I find it comes to the end a lot faster once I've gone through a long process of exploration and visualization.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.