Thursday, April 1, 2010

Rejections, How we love them. Or not. Whichever.

Two rejections on short stories so far this year. Which is down from most years because I've been focusing so much on novels (thus have not created new stories), and a few of my stories have already been picked up, so I do not have the stash of short stories that I used to. This equals: nothing to submit.

It's not surprising to me that these rejections are of the form variety...after all, you get what you give and I have not given my all to revisions of the stories I've sent out recently. I'm viewing this as a lesson to learn: must revise and then send out or I am wasting everyone's time--which I already knew but I kept my fingers crossed hopefully, nonetheless.

(I was just hoping to fool some of the editors and get published and then not have to worry about them anymore--all writers are like this and we hate hearing it from the editors who know it. Know-it-all editors. Humph.)

[Side note: I am not usually That Writer. Normally I only send out pieces that I know are working like they should and my return has been generous--both in acceptances and personalized rejection letters. I was just in a mood.]

Since I haven't posted my goals for this year, this is a fitting time because I'd already determined that short story writing would be a part of it. So goals 2010:
1. Rough draft of La Llorona done by July 31--and this is an important one because Bransford expressed interest in seeing the progress of said WIP, so I must, you know, progress
2. Rough draft of The Line by about the same time
3. Work on short stories for rest of the year
4. Play around with a screenplay...gotta mix the genres up, ya know?

Seems crazy ambitious since I'm intending on going back to school in the fall as well. But that's how I roll! Who would like to roll with me?

Wait, I didn't mean to put it that way....

1 comment:

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.