Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Struggling Writer; or, More Writing Math

It's been months since I've submitted to the CWC and it's been a tad longer since I've worked on my WIP. Distracted by serial killer poetry books, I didn't work on my novel.

But now the time is nigh. (Yes, I just wrote 'nigh')

And February is a frighteningly short month. A week into it and I haven't made any progress in the story.

Writing Math Time: Basically I have to write 4 pages a day until the 22nd to get 50 pages done.

Since I haven't really written anything on this particular book since the beginning of December, I'm trying to remember where the hell I was on the story line. I think I've got a grasp on that now--after days of thinking about it.

The writing is not coming as easily, though. It's feeling like work instead of fun, and I'm in real need of fun right now. I'm sure as I slog through it, the enjoyment will return. Sounds strange, right? Slog through it and it'll be fun again?

That's just how it works.

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I'm where you are now... Sigh. Must buy more snacks to grease the wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps a challenge of some kind? Out of the house pages?

    Funny how slogging can turn into fun. I've been on the brink of that lately, but not fallen over the edge.

    I blame Ali. No particular reason, just the first name that popped into my head to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali is to blame because she's finished a wonderful manuscript. Now she's on the 'new idea'! level...which is my favorite. Because at that moment you don't have to deal with the issues that your great idea will throw at you. It's just a great idea.

    Now I have to get my great idea to work....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooner or later, writing'll be nigh on easier than getting darts to hit nigh to the bullseye.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.