Sunday, January 3, 2010

When Life Gets In the Way

My brilliant plans all shot and it's only 3 days into the New Year!

Okay, so it's not all that dramatic.

Here's the bad news: My hubby and I have done the math and we won't be able to move back into our house this year. I could tell you and tell you, but I don't think anyone would really get how absolutely depressed this makes me. (We're talking I kept a straight face while we talked about it, then promptly busted out into tears two seconds later. And I'm not a huge crier...much.)

So we talked to Susie, my dear and giving mother, and she doesn't mind if we stay at her place for another year so we can start saving enough to get the hell out. She also graciously said that we could give Owen her room since she stays over at her 'man-friend's house most of the time. Read: We see her once a week if we're lucky.

In the spirit of the thing, my husband went a little crazy and decided we needed to start moving everything NOW this VERY SECOND. (He really wants to have a room separate from the baby, and with Owen in Susie's old room, Bronwen goes into Owen's old room in the musical dance of the rooms.)

The result is that the house has exploded. You see, when someone has had their room for fifteen years, they accumulate what I like to call stuff. Owen's only been around for 7 years and has accumulated his own fair share of stuff. Shifting stuff from one area to another is not as easy as you would assume. And we decided to repaint the place while we were at it (May as well raise some property value while we're at this, right? It's the least we can do for Susie--which means we're also retiling the bathroom floor and installing a new sink.)

Right now, the single clean room in the whole place is Owen's room. What does this mean?

Well, it means Owen has a cool new space.

It also means that the only part of my computer I can find at the moment is my keyboard. I can't even see the words as I'm typing them. Am I making sense? I don't know. Basically it boils down to this: Time spent cleaning this disaster will eat into my writing goals for this month, which were extensive, even if I didn't post them this go-round.

Can I get a hair-pulling AUGHHHHH!?

4 comments:

  1. Augh indeed. But the good news is that once ou get everything shifted and organized, it'll make it that much easier when you can sit down.

    And you'll get there. All the theres you want to get to. I know you, and you'll absolutely do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids have the same amount of stuff; it's so bad, I'm ashamed...

    Bummer about the status staying quo. But I'm with Deb: you'll get there, with writing and home. You're one of the most stubborn people I know, and that's a compliment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel for you in the stuff department and the shifting stuff department, as well. Irene has so much stuff, it's absolutely incredible. But this go-round, my husband was in charge of persuading her to throw out a lot of stuff. Once it's done, you'll feel loads better, but the doing sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duuuuude. I don't envy you. The good news - you & Shane are soon to have space of your own. It'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.