Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Snap Back to Reality

Nothing'll bring you down out of your writerly laurels than a rejection. I have received my first for the New Year. Welcome to 2010!

In all fairness, it was a very kind rejection--which I get a lot of, and that makes me happy. You know, nice personal notes etc. They say that's how you know you're on the right track, right?

However, I can't help but think of eHarmony.com--that dating site--when I read the rejection notes. Stuff like: Strong story, but not for me. Strong writing, but not for me. After careful consideration, not for me. Not for me, not for me, not for me. I'm the close, but not-good-enough relationship. A fling! But not the one they want to settle down with. Perhaps if agents and writers had a 26-trait compatability test this would happen less often?

It makes me want to start an agent/writer dating site of sorts.

Writers could post something like:
Strong story about a woman discovering the truth of her fiance's questionable past seeking representation from reputable agent with strong sales background and a good editorial hand. Form rejections are discouraged, but understandable.

OR

A fixer-upper of a novel seeking representation from an agent with time to spare for a desperate writer needing attention from any agent/warm body who'll pay attention--preferably one who wants to be a writer him/herself because his/her edits will be the only ones made to the manuscript. Rejections may result in stalking.

5 comments:

  1. I hate the not-for-me. Makes me want to yell "Why not??? You say it has a strong story/voice/pacing/character. So what's the problem?"

    Rejections suck. So glad I'm at least happily married :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that fixer upper posting. What would agents post?

    Writer wanted. Self-starter, self-finisher. Able to internet multitask, revise and start new project all at the same time. Personable, yet loner. Takes rejection with a smile and comes back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the rejection, but at least it was an 'almost'. An 'almost' for one agent must be a 'yes' for another. Good luck with the rest of the subs. And, thanks for the laughs about query dating...

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you're starting the New Year off with a nice rejection--and you still have all of 2010 to make this the year you get to "yes" with the agent who's right for you!

    The fixer-upper--that made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fleur-I'm glad I'm happily married too!

    Tina Lee-I'm scared to think of what agents would post....

    Heather and Rowenna-Thanks for the encouragement. Here's to further query dating!

    Ooo, maybe a query dating game?

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.