Sunday, December 6, 2009

As the end of the year approaches, I'm trying to sort out what I accomplished, what I didn't, and the why behind both so that I can better plan next year.

What I did not accomplish and why I think I didn't:

I did not finish either rough draft that I intended to. That kinda stings since I had a whole freakin' year to work it out. Why?

Partly the usual suspects: work, family, a great television season that slowed me down in spite of DVR.

Partly because I was (and still am) stuggling with certain aspects.

La Llorona is difficult because I'm trying to challenge myself into writing a little more literary than I normally do--because I need to pull off a certain effect and I think that particular style will serve my purpose. While it's slower going than I anticipated, I feel that the writing is stronger here than in anything I've written yet. Nowhere to go but up, right?

The Line is tricky because while I think the concept falls under the auspices of the "High Concept of Fiction", it also requires world-building because it's set about 150 years into the future and that creates its own level of change--which I do not have a handle on as yet, making it harder to proceed. So after I set up a Bible (thanks to Ali for the suggestion....) then I will type through with flying colors, I'm sure.

Then there's the part where I didn't accomplish what I set out to do because, well, I accomplished other things.

Like writing a whole poetry book from scratch. Who knew? (I know, still not done, but no worries, it will be!)

Like finishing a submittable draft of Following Julia Roberts. And getting two partial requests after sending out 20 queries (check off that goal why don'tcha?). That's a 10% request rate, and that's pretty good right?

Plus all the critiques that I finished--and learned from. Thanks for it, guys! It's like opening a present every time I pick up new reading.

On to sorting out what I'll do, but probably not, for next year!

2 comments:

  1. And you've challenged me to do more than I thought I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am impressed! To attempt to write 2 very different style of novels at the same time just blows my mind! You are my hero!!!!

    I need to think about this past year and work at getting some goals set for the new year. I didn't accomplish all I wanted, but the little I did is still pretty good, consider life has gotten in the way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.