Monday, November 9, 2009

JePoWriMo: Day 9

Redo! (The poetry book that is.)

I have had an epiphany. And it is good. But you have to wait for it. I'm not telling yet. Let me just say that a creative bolt of lightning struck my little head while driving down to see the Sandra Cisneros reading.

And about Ms. Cisneros.

She's great. Really lively and beautiful. Soooo funny. Funnier than I expected.

She's also very giving. Check this out:

Juliana is a former classmate of mine at CSU-Pueblo and she has written a book of poetry. Somehow, Sandra Cisneros gets a hold of this book and reads it this weekend before her talk. At the talk itself she gushes over Juliana's book. She offers to blurb the book. In front of everyone. And Juliana had no idea that Cisneros even knew she existed...you could see it in her suddenly red and exhilerhated face. Juliana actually shrieked a little (and really, who can blame her?). It was an awe-and-jealousy-inspiring moment. It was so cool.

After that, Cisneros read from some of her work. She has a new book of essays coming out called Writing In My Pajamas and I'll be all over that when it comes out. She also talked about, what else? Writing.

Cisneros's two rules for writing:
1. Do no harm. You should only bring good into the world. You don't have to talk about happy subjects, but don't do any damage out in the real world.
2. (Which may seem to contradict the first rule) Tell the truth. If you write about real people--you change their names, you use composites, but don't hurt anyone (see Rule 1). Write from you heart. El Corazon.

1 comment:

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.