Saturday, November 7, 2009

JePoWriMo: Day 7

Progress is being made--just not in a calculable fashion.

A few pages have been written. Just me cutting loose and getting words down. Because, like the brilliant Ali says: quantity, not quality.

So I've decided to write freestyle, trying to use a lot of repetition with the words. After all, sestinas repeat six words six times over, at least. With the repetition, I at least have some guage on where my stanzas/lines should be. Then I can cut and paste and then cut and paste again.

The good news about rocking the poetry out freestyle first (by freestyle I mean not worrying about a damn thing--including punctuation) is that a lot of really random, weird, and beautiful things start popping up. You think you're gonna talk about one thing and throw it up on the top of the page as a working title, and then BAM! (as the great Emeril would say) something totally new and unexpected comes up.

It's been a while since I've let the gunk that's in my brain spill out onto the page, but there's some neat bits coming out as well.

Even though I remain a bit frustrated, I'm learning. And I guess, in the end, that's the point.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled - both that I am brilliant ;) and that nifty things are happening on your pages.

    You've got a big undertaking, but you're making progress. I'll keep cheering you on. And I know I'm not the only one with pom-poms at the ready.

    Gooooooooooooooooo Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! Go, Jenny!

    And get the gunk out. It washes off the good bits quite easily, I find. Too bad it's often the only way to get to the good bits.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.