Thursday, November 5, 2009

JePoWriMo: Day 5

Panickingly slow is how it's going. I don't know if panickingly is a real word but I'm using poetic license.

So far: 6 poems that are actually in a full rough draft form. About 7 where I have a line or more.

November sucks for doing any of these kinds of things. Especially this November for some reason. I realized that I work seven days straight right before Thanksgiving--one of those being a holiday meeting in which I have to work about 12 hours.

I do a lot of my writing on Thursdays because I don't have to work until later and the kids are both in school. However, today (Thursday) Owen has a play so I switched my hours to work earlier--and I won't be able to really write tonight because, well, Owen has a play. Then Thanksgiving is on a Thursday, so there goes another one.

And who the hell can think up 120 different subjects for poems? I'm hitting a wall. (I'm trying to stay positive, and think about all those great times when you push yourself and get the really creative ideas...but the positivity isn't sticking.)

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, time for a deep breath. Ok, things to remember:
    Right now it's all about the quantity. Tell your inner editor to sit down and shut up (or else suffer dire consequences). Then just write. Write a lot. Know that it's not supposed to be pretty right now, it's just supposed to be putting words on the page.

    Also, who says you have to think of 120 different subjects? Poppycock! Most poets don't constantly write about new subjects, more like they riff on themes. Maybe try writing poems in sets or such where instead of thinking "what else can I write about?" you think, "lemme see how many poems I can write about socks that disappear from the dryer, never to be seen again."

    Last thing - right now you're trying to find your groove/warming up your poetry muscles. It's slow going today, but once you get limbered up, it'll go faster.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true (what Ali said). I smell a series of linked poems in your future...

    Relax. Take a break, and come back tomorrow.

    And I wrote a really good horror story about socks disappearing in the dryer (seriously). So take your inspiration where you can it, I say.

    Hey, how about taking one interesting customer every day, and writing something about them?

    I'm just full of ideas today (or just full of it, maybe :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought I commented yesterday, but whatever.

    What Ali and Fleur said.

    Just write. Kick the inner editor in the pants and then fly by the seat of yours.

    I like the idea of linked poems. When the draft of one is done, maybe ask "What else can I say about this?" Then start another.

    Easy peasy, yes?

    From someone who doesn't do poetry.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.