Monday, October 12, 2009

I am seduced by the thought of reading...but recently I've been on a stop/start program.

Here's the list of books currently in progress:
Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Anne Frank: The Life, The Book, The Afterlife by Francine Prose
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
and
Sun Stone and Shadows: 20 Great Mexican Short Stories, edited by Jorge F. Hernandez

I'm just not seeming to finish any of them, which is very strange for me because, believe it or not, I'm really enjoying each of them. It feels like a nice mix. Maybe I just need to read 200 things at a time? Have you guys ever gone a start/stop program like that? Did you actually successfully complete the books you were reading?

How's about you guys? Finish anything recently?

2 comments:

  1. I finished reading (not listening to- for once)White Heat about Emily Dickinson's friendship with Thomas Wentworth Higginson. I learned a lot about Higginson but not much about Dickinson. She was as elusive as ever. Except that I did learn that she did not hide herself away because of some tragic love story but to keep her art pure. And she did. But at such a cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been a few points where I was reading a couple different things at the same time. Usually, it's one for pleasure and one or two for research (which may or may not be pleasurable).

    There are a couple that I've gotten partway through, liked it, but for whatever reason didn't finish. After a while it feels like I should start again, but I'm halfway through so . . . And it sits there. A couple I've started several times and never made it through ("House of the Seven Gables", "Don Quixote" and "Moby Dick").

    Just finished "Love In The Time Of Cholera." Beautiful writing. The "romantic hero" was more than a little creepy, though.

    Just started "The Castle of Crossed Destinies." Cool idea. Sort of "Canterbury Tales" with Tarot cards. Not sure if the execution is going to be there, though.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.