Saturday, June 20, 2009

Jenny's Summer Reading Program

At work, I set up a display for the high schools' summer reading. As I was setting it up, I realized that I have never read any of them. Insightful as this was, it irritated me. Here I am, with aspirations to write literature and I've never read these creations from the masters of literature. I was also just irked that a high schooler should know more than me about any of these. (I realize they'll probably skim them, at best, but one or two of those guys will actually read them.)

Since high schoolers have to read these things over the summer, then, I decided, I shall read them over the summer. But, because I'm a lot cooler than a lot of high schoolers and have had some training reading these kinds of things *She says snobbishly* then I'm going to read all of the high schools' lists. There are three lists from three different high schools that I have a hold of. Caveats: I don't have to read the books I've already read--namely Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm. Yep, I've only read two on the present lists.

So, here's my reading project for the summer (I give myself until the end of August):

1. The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne

2. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol

3. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

4. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

5. My Antonia by Willa Cather

6. Their Eyes were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

7. Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

8. 1984 by George Orwell

9. Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

10. The Kite Runner and

11. The Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini


I'm already into The Scarlet Letter (and thinking 'What did I get myself into?') and will report back from the field of Literature occasionally.

**Just a funny little aside: the favorite quote when I posted this was "Well-read people are less likely to be criminals"--Lemony Snicket

1 comment:

  1. Interesting challenge. I've read six of those, maybe seven. I can't remember if I read Treasure Island as a kid or not. I'm surprised that Tom Sawyer, Alice and Treasure Island are on high school lists. Those were grade school books "back in my day."

    I would offer to join you and fill in my own blanks, but I have a self-imposed list to get through this summer.

    Good luck to you. I think you might find a few that you really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.