Friday, May 8, 2009

The Children Of Men The Children Of Men by P.D. James


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
P.D. James can turn a sentence, let me tell you. She can also build a crazy-ass world, create believable characters, and set up a premise.

All in all, I though this was a great book. Not particularly heartwarming, but definitely an impressive read. The best stuff, for me, were the little touches she did to define the world. Women buying dolls because they can't have children. The youngest, most viable generation going wild on the border lands because they can't handle the pressures and the inevitablity of the end--and because they've been indulged in every whim by the dying older generations.

My only issue with it, in the end, were parts of the end. But I can't really tell you about that. Because I could be heavily influenced by the movie version, which I saw first.

Also, keep in mind the adage: Never judge a book by its movie. Because, man, are they different. I think the only thing they have in common is the fact that the human race has become infertile and that suddenly a pregnant woman appears.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.