Friday, April 10, 2009

An Experiment

The Age of Fable: Library Edition The Age of Fable: Library Edition by Thomas Bulfinch


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Bulfinch likes the word 'propitious'...at least that's the word that stuck out the most to me as I listened to the narrator. Also 'thither'--such an old word that it seemed really forced, even with the knowledge that the book was written Back in the Day.



However, as far as getting across the stories of the myths of Ancient Greece, and The Northern (read: Norse) Mythologies, he does a fairly accurate--and sometimes painfully detailed--job. All of the old favorites are there, though I did get confused because when I originally learned all of the stories, it was with the Greek names. Bulfinch uses the Latin or Roman versions so I had to mentally check myself everytime Minerva, or Juno, or all the others were mentioned. (Especially confusing when he reminds us that Athens is named for Minerva--who is Athena in the Greek).



Long story short (because this is kind of a long read) it's a good introduction both to the myths and to a great deal of Romantic and Classic poetry. Definitely filled in some gaps of learning for me. I also think he did the best job describing the basic ideas behind Hinduism and Buddhism...though I have the distinct impression all he knew were these basics. There's definitely a lack of detail in the Eastern Mythology portions of the work.


View all my reviews.

**This was an experiment to see if I could get the book review posted. Experiment=success.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful- another blogger with a book review. I will try to get to Bullfinch and see what I really don't know.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.