Saturday, February 21, 2009

Christopher Moore Stuff

Went with Shane, John, Oliver, and Ali to see Christopher Moore in Boulder last night. Here are my notes:

1. It's nice to see an author (a successful author, let me add) in the flesh because it proves that mere mortals are capable of having really cool careers.

2. If anyone asks me, at a book signing when the movie is coming out, I'll be irritated. I swear, Moore had to answer at least five/six questions about movies that don't exist while here was a perfectly good, perfectly entertaining (I hope--haven't read it yet...) book that's right in front of them. Books are okay, people! You don't need fancy CG effects in your brain.

3. Two guys--older, trying to look scholarly, I fear that they may have been actual professors from the university but I hope they're just wannabe intellectuals, passed our little group in the hallway asking whether Einstein had showed up because the place was rather crowded. We showed them our books and they go "Eh, never heard of him." (One still asked Moore's name after three of us showed them the cover.) Well, I've never heard of you or your man-boobs either.

4. We didn't win the hat for traveling the farthest because Ali didn't speak up (I tried, but she claims she doesn't wear hats. I guess we know what to get her for her birthday)...and some guy from Wyoming thought he came farther. Hello! Geography people. Pueblo's clear down to almost New Mexico.

5. By the time we got our books signed, I think Moore was feeling the strain of it all. He smiled but was obviously tired. I think, deep down, as much as he talked and dropped the *f* bomb and was all witty, he's just a nerd writer like the rest of us. We're not actors or musicians who have to constantly go out in front of people. We sit at a computer and type stuff and hope people read it...but we may not have the energy to talk to those people all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.