Friday, January 2, 2009

I'm glad Christopher Moore is coming out with a new book soon. Between The Count of Monte Cristo and the book I just finished reading, The Reader by Bernhard Schlink, my reading list is looking to be a tad on the depressing side.

Not that Reader wasn't worth reading. I think it gives a valuable point of view after reading books like Night by Elie Wiesel. Basically, no one got out of WWII okay. Every single person was damaged, including the generation that followed. So, definitely worth reading, but better to be prepped for troubling perspectives (should we blame the executioner for doing what he viewed as his job?--it's nothing personal after all. See? troubling perspectives...) and a doomed relationship.

I really want to see the movie version of this--the book is pretty straight to the point. I'd like to see how actors like Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes handle such topical matter.

But I'm definitely looking forward to Fool, Christopher Moore's take on King Lear.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, sounds like you're definitely in need of something funny. I can't remember if you've read Sherman Alexie's "Reservation Blues" or not. That one's good for funny.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.