Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Libraries: conducive for rewrites

Today I discovered a new place to work: the library. Who knew?

I set out to find a quiet place to write this morning--forcing Shane to babysit because I have to, have to, have to finish my draft. Lo and behold Fountain, Colorado, has a library. I knew it existed because I have recently checked out multiple titles for my son to read, but it seemed a novel idea to actually work there.

The windows look out over a small wooded area and you can't see any cars or roads or anything and I realized that I like not being able to see or hear technology while working. I was focused for the two hours or so that I was allotted by the baby. Some work actually got accomplished.

But, I think more than the quiet, was the fact that I was surrounded by books. I mean, that's the whole reason I'm a writer. I love books. It seemed appropriate that I was working on a novel while surrounded by the fruits of the labors of many other novelists. This might seem strange because I work at a bookstore and am surrounded by the 'fruits of' all day long. But in the library it wasn't about making the sale...you can't buy these books. If people are going to the library, it's because they want to read something. It's a genuine love of reading that is found there.

Later I will have to worry about marketing and making the cash with the book I produce...but not right now. Now it's not about the business, it's about creating something good that someone will want to read.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for libraries! Glad to hear your rewrites are rolling along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how sometimes the place you least suspect is the one that works? Most of the time, silence is a distraction for me, but maybe the next time I'm struggling, I'll try one of the study rooms at the library.

    And Yay! for your rewrites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, I'm all for libraries. And the Fountain Library is a much anticipated and longed for one. I feel inspired by a library everyday. So happy you found one too.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.