Sunday, July 6, 2008

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

I only have one submission left to read! Yippee!

It's all part of my devious plan. If I finish the submissions, then that leaves more time for my own writing through the rest of the month. Here's the strike though: too much space between the written critique and the verbal critique. So I have to be extra, extra written...if that makes sense.

The good news is that if something consistantly bothers me through the month about a story/novel excerpt, then I know that it's a real issue and should definitely be brought forward.

So here's my question of the day: Is it better to do critiques early and get 'em done? Or should you wait, possibly waiting until the last minute, so that the story is fresher in your mind? Or do you blame the writer--if they didn't write a memorable story, then it's not the critiquer's fault, right? (Hee, hee...always gotta pass the buck...)

4 comments:

  1. It's definitely easier to have things percolate over the course of the month, if something doesn't work, the solution may not be readily obvious. If the story proves not to memorable, than hopefully whatever stuck out during the reading stayed sticking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for right away. Then you have your first reaction (written down) and your "after further thought" reaction (verbal).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too. Although I tend to review the submissions just before the meeting in case it's my faulty memory and not the writer.

    But it's usually the writer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have a ritual of sorts. I wait until the last 2 weeks and then read only during my half hour lunches. It works pretty well and they're fresh in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.