Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Critiquing, and again

I have read so much this week that words blur before my eyes in my sleep. I hear narrative when I'm not paying attention.

At the last Underground meeting, John made a good point: critiquing helps you become a better writer...so do it or get kicked out of the group. Okay, he was a bit more eloquent than that and made the argument that you can't half-ass stuff and become better. I'm paraphrasing, but still.

So, here is what I have learned from the reading so far:
1. It's nice to read the 'new guy's story but I'm still not a fan of present tense.
2. Sometimes people make long sentences when they should make longer paragraphs.
3. I'm at my sharpest in the evening.
4. Length, whether short or long, creates different demands--I had the pleasure of reading our shortest submission right next to our longest submission and, wow, it made me change my mindset midstream.
5. Exposition is important.
6. I like to play with titles.
and
7. I learned that if you have a lot of things to do you have to organize and realize that, if you want to be a better writer, you have to be willing to do more than the next guy. I did a lot of the critiques during my lunch hour while my co-workers, well, at lunch. I wanted to do a good job on the critiques because I am about to jump into my own revision and I wanted to be sharp. We'll see if it works.

Because in the end, you can see other people's problems but it's hard to be honest about your own.

I'm trying to keep in mind that the things I critiqued people on the hardest are probably the things I need to work on myself.

2 comments:

  1. It's fun - whenver things stack up like that, you see patterns emerge.

    Now, just remember what you need to and you should be in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, of course. I believe we ARE hardest on those mistakes that we tend to make. Good on ya for being so conscientious. I'm not sure I could deal with 6 critiques over and above the 2-3 from CWC.

    You rock.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.