Saturday, May 31, 2008

Galley Stuff

In the last couple weeks, I have had the opportunity to look at the galleys of the magazines in which my stories will be appearing. The experience is a heady one. There are your words, and you didn't have to type them this time, and someone else has formatted and made them look pretty. Of course, it's a little tedious at this point because all you're doing is looking for typos and 'does that comma go there'? I'm pretty sure in one of the stories, the editor added in semi-colons. That kinda threw me, but it looked good so I didn't say anything (of course, I could have done that last minute too, after a while you're just not sure what's yours anymore...)

Now it has me thinking about book galleys and having to read through your whole book for little typo shit. My eyes cross at the thought! At work we get what are called ARCs (Advanced Reader Copies) which are basically the same thing that the authors get to proof. It's the pre-final edit before the actual publishing takes place. And sometimes, whoa!, the mistakes that get made in layout.

I have an ARC of Jennifer Weiner's Little Earthquakes. At some point there is a whole scene immediately repeated.

In the ARC of 20 Times a Lady there are multiple, painful misspellings (in one case a 'butt' for 'but'--could be slightly embarrassing).

The good news is that in a professionally formatted piece, the typos almost jump out at you. It's really hard to miss them. The consistancy of the publishing makes the mistakes twice as bad. Mistakes are easy to miss on loose-leaf, self-formatted paper (and one the computer screen).

So, here's to getting it right (hopefully! my eyes are tired).

1 comment:

  1. But a fun tedious, right?

    Although after being through MMG what feels like 1,000 times, no matter how excited I'd be to have an agent and editor, the thought of having to read it again is a daunting thought.

    Oh, here's to all of us having to face such tediousness. Tediosity?

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.