Monday, January 28, 2008

Let us say "Unprofessional"

All right, so I'm not going to name names, but I have to bitch just a little about a magazine and its submitters that recently created a pain in my ass.

I have a special e-mail address that I use when submitting so that things like rejection letters do not get lost in some random junk folder. Recently I submitted to a magazine via e-mail (being an e-zine, this was the preferred method). Waited the due period of time. Then I received a response.

A rejection. Bummer. But! it's not the first I've received, it won't be the last, and I'll move on.

However, it was a form rejection. In the form of a "Reply All": which means everyone got to see everyone who was rejected and had their fellow rejectees' e-mail addresses. So, of course, one or two of them responded with a "Reply All" and thus began a mad mailing amongst the Rejected. Some comments were funny. Some were pissed.

All were in my professional "In" box, clogging it up.

So, for those of you out there who are running magazines, please try to keep information private (and to note: the editors did send an apology when they realized what happened) and, for those of you who have been rejected, try not to throw salt on the wound and keep your rejection thoughts to yourself...even if they're funny and witty. I've been pressing the "Delete" key for days.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is truly tacky. I have sent the wrong the rejection to the wrong person, but only once. Now I really, really double check. And I only a couple more to go before I'm done with fiction editing.

    No names, huh? Looks like you're much more professional than the editors.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.