Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Heroics for Beginners

For those of you looking for a fun, quick, fantasy read, then I recommend to you: Heroics for Beginners by John Moore.

And when I say quick, I mean this story moves from point A to point B quick. You just get to know the hero--or wannabe hero in this case--and then it's off to the races to save a kingdom and marry the princess (quite the buxom babe...).

Moore takes all the cliches and uses them to their fullest. The bad guy is a dude named Voltmeter--"he who must be named." I mean, what more do you want? The whole story leads off with a man named "Thunk the Barbarian" and then there's "Eric the Cool." No, I wouldn't count it 'high literature' but, damn, sometimes you've just got to read for fun, right?

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! Just because you're an English major and a writer, there is no reason to become one of the snooty-falooty people we used to make fun of.

    First and foremost, reading should be pleasurable. The fancy stuff we learned about in college is just added bonus material--it's the stuff that moves us from being entertained on the first reading, to wanting to read it over and over.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.