Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Planned Reading Spree

After I finish the rough draft of FJR, I have planned to go on a reading spree. But, I'm having trouble deciding which stack of books to read.

Stack 1: Stuff that I just wanted to read. These are in no particular order by no particular people, just books I thought seemed interesting and picked up off the shelf.

Stack 2: Reading that is meant to get me prepped for my next novel-writing endeavour. These are books (I still want to read them...very important to note) that I think are similar to what I want to accomplish with the next book.

The mind frame is different while reading. One is a much more conscious thing with special attention to style, etc. The other is more T.V. watching--but since they're books then there's still the lit element. You see what I'm saying? How to pick?

4 comments:

  1. I vote for stack 1. The reason: sooner or later you're going to read stack 2 no matter what. But, it'd be too easy to keep putting stack 1 to the side.

    You owe yourself a break. I know it's a very un-demony thing for me to say, but you'll get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about one from one pile then a book from the other? I tend to try to mix it up a bit when I read. A women's fiction book followed by a non-fiction read that may or may not be research followed by Neil Gaiman and so on.

    Make it fun. After finishing a novel, you need to just treat yourself a little bit. Or a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all comes down to do you want to take a break, or do you want to keep working like a fiend? Personnally, I think a break is in order. You've worked really hard and a little just for fun stuff might recharge the batteries.

    Read your "tv" pile until you're tired of reading it. I know you, a little bit. I think you're the type of person who wouldn't be seduced into entertainment reading for very long. You'll know when it's time to dig into the "work" pile. But in the meanwhile, have a little mindless fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole writing, reading, critiquing thing should always be fun, and relaxing. If it feels like work to do stack #2, set it to the side, like Ali and Mishell said.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.