Thursday, August 30, 2007

Waiting Around

Right now I'm hanging out at my mother's, waiting for a guy to measure the floor. I know, thrill a minute right? Briefly I thought that I should bring something to work on, like the round story chapter that I will, will, will (!) finish by this weekend. I've already got a pretty good handle on where I'm going (chaos) but now have to work out the willy-nilly details of getting there.

And yes, I realize that I'm on a computer right now, but I've already started writing the round story chapter and I did not bring my file. As fun as this story is, I'm not starting from scratch. Uh-uh.

But, my question to pose right now is: If you know you're going to be somewhere where the only entertainment for a while is mindless television, do you bring something 'productive' with you? My obvious answer is no, though my thoughts are good (I wouldn't quite call them intentions...).

I mean, I suppose I could work on the Minesweeper score thing, but various parties have informed me that it 'doesn't seem like a 'real' goal, now does it?' After my ambitious post for September I tend to agree and will stay my hand at the mouse. Eventually I will make it home this afternoon and set to work. Or nap.

Okay, maybe not nap. But it sounds good.

4 comments:

  1. Tough call. My answer - sometimes. I used to get a lot of writing hours in when I babysat regularly. I could usually do at least a page during the kids' tennis lesson.

    I've kinda fallen out of the habit, though. In part because I find myself with less and less of that "dead" time. No babysitting, for one. And, anymore, I have classes I have to pay attention in. So there goes another chunk of dead time.

    Still, I tend to take a notebook with me just about everywhere. Just in case.

    By the way, didn't anyone tell you that you're not allowed to write on the round story until the day before the meeting? Sheesh, whatcha tryin' to do? Gettin' all over-acheivery on me all of a sudden, are ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to take lots of stuff and then not do any of them. At least if you haven't got anything to do with you, you can think that you would have been productive if you just had something to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Deb on this one. What's that old addage? "Rome wasn't built" . . . no that's not it. Oh yeah, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I find that though I have brought reading and writing materials, cross-stitching supplies, and mind-enhancing games, I usually end up watching the TV. What a sad little world I live in. [sigh]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christopher ArlaudMarch 26, 2008 at 11:24 PM

    Stumbled across your blog googling for something on log lines ... and instantly recognised the determinedly struggling writer. Why else would I be getting up at 5 in the morning? BTW - I have 3 kids, so I know how wonderfully "distracting" they can be.

    Bottom line? Go, girl, go! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.