Monday, August 13, 2007

A Double Header

Normally, when I'm working on a 'big' project, like a novel, I do not work on two pieces at once. If I get stuck, I'll do a short story or a poem or something 'small' to give my brain a break.

Recently, however, I decided from somewhere that I should work on two big pieces at once. Perhaps to challenge myself...mostly because I really, really wanted to work on a fantasy novel, which is something I haven't tried before. For the last week or so, that's what I've done.

Or, tried to do.

So I start work on FJR, because this is the original big project that I want to get done (and if you look at 'August Goals' that's the one I have to do two chapters of before the month is out). I get into it. There's a great argument scene, lots of tension and action--so it's fun to write, right? Right.

Everything is going so well, I decide to jump into the fantasy novel, which for shorthand purposes we'll call TR. I've made it one paragraph in--about seventeen times.

My problem, I think, is that I'm in two different places. I don't mean settings, I mean physical places in the novel. Page 1 and Page 200 are definitely two different stages of commitment, work, character development, world development. Yi! How to go from one mindset to another? I don't have an answer, but here's what I'm going to try.

Focus immediately on FJR, then, for the week leading up to the writer's group, I'll ignore that book completely and see if I can jump into the world of TR and get it ready to submit. By that time, I'm certain I'll be a little tired of FJR anyway. Fingers crossed....

5 comments:

  1. I try to work on two projects at once, because I always seem to get ideas for Project B when I'm trying to work on Project A. However, I'm finding that now that I have A&B in progress, I'm either getting ideas for Project C or my brain shuts down completely.

    But I'm still trying to make progress this month on both projects. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it goes.

    Keeping fingers crossed for both of us, me darlin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried, but I kept getting my plots mixed up. Maybe it's because I only write mysteries. It might work better if you are working on two different genres.

    Good luck, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck, if doing two at once isn't quite working, then don't feel bad about focusing on just one at a time. Yeah, I know you're itching to work on the fantasy, but don't worry, you'll get to it.

    After all, why not take advantage of the momentum with FJR while it's going so strong? I think you made the right choice. Besides as long as I get a submission from you this month, I'm not going to be too picky about what it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember Jenny, if you cross your fingers, it's really hard to type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Ali on this one. I'd love to read lots more of FJR. And if that's what you're wanting to write, go for it. I use the two project thing so that when one isn't clicking for me I can switch. If it's hitting on all the cylinders, why stop?

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.